DVLA paid a £354 fine after we scrapped a Nissan | money

In July 2021 we canceled our beloved Nissan Micra because it was beyond repair.

I took it to the scrap dealer and my wife sent a V5C form to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The lock was canceled in September.

However, in February, it was stated in a letter from the DVLA that we had failed to secure Micra. I prepared the papers, showing that we no longer own the car, with the details of the company we used to cancel, and the date it was cancelled. Thank you letter for the information.

We are teachers, so we usually go to France for summer vacation. When we came back at the end of August, we found a letter from the DVLA saying we were being taken to court for failing to insure the car, and we had 21 days to respond.

I tried to log in to the site to contest the case But the 21 days have already passed.

I sent all the information back, along with passport stamps which showed we were out of the country when the court letter was sent.

I didn’t hear back but was fined £354 as the case went to court in our absence.

And at no time, since the information was sent in February, has it given any indication that the matter has not been resolved.

NB , Sheffield

You thought you did everything that was required of you when you canceled your car. However, when we asked the DVLA to investigate, he insisted that “all actions taken were correct”.

“It is important that motorists tell us immediately when they dispose of their vehicle or risk remaining liable for any penalties,” she added.

When you get rid of a car there are very specific steps to follow. You must use an approved processing facility (usually a scrap yard or a crushing yard) and they need to fill out the yellow “Sell, Transfer, or Partially Replace Your Vehicle” section of your log book (V5C).

Then you have to tell the DVLA; The easiest way to do this is via their website. You should receive a confirmation email, followed by a message that you are no longer the custodian of the vehicle.

Alternatively, as I said, you can submit the yellow form to the DVLA and you will receive a message again. If you don’t get one, you need to chase it down.

Based on what you told me, it looks like something has gone wrong. I was going to suggest you appeal against this fine but you already have, and you have a hearing this month. We wish you good luck.

Messages are welcome but we cannot answer every one. Email us at [email protected] or write to Consumer Champions, Money, The Guardian, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Please include a phone number for working days. Submission and posting of all messages is subject to our terms and conditions.