- They first met in 1968 on a film set. Years later, the actress recalled that Russell was cute, but definitely too young for her
- Their professional paths parted: she became a star of American comedies, he gained popularity thanks to action films and working with John Carpenter. Years later, they starred together in three more films
- They met again in the early 1980s. They were newly divorced and their first date ended … with police intervention
- You can find more such stories on the Onet homepage
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell are one of Hollywood’s most compatible couples. They have been together since Valentine’s Day 1983, they had a son, but … they never got married. Despite several crises and rumors of breakups, the couple always found their way back to each other.
They met in 1968 on the set of Disney’s “The Only Original Family Orchestra”. Kurt Russell was a Disney star at the time, and Goldie Hawn began her career as a comedy actress, often cast as silly blonde girls. However, there was no question of a relationship. – I was 21, he was 16. He was cute, but way too young for me – the actress said years later in an interview with BBC 4 radio.
Later their paths diverged. Goldie Hawn got another great comedy role, won an Oscar for her role in “Cactus Flower,” and tried her hand at a country singer with the support of Dolly Parton herself. She married twice and became the mother of Kate and Oliver, from marriage to musician Bill Hudson. The 1980s were a real streak of professional success for her (she also became a film producer), from appearances in “Private Benjamin”, “Best Friends” and “Wild Cats” to the comedies “Lady Overboard” and “With Death to Her Face”.
Kurt Russell from the Disney family movie star turned into … an athlete. After a few years in front of the camera, he started acting – like my father and grandfather – in baseball. His sports career, however, only lasted until 1973, when he injured his arm.
He returned to acting and appeared in the series “The New Land” and “Elvis”, he also returned to Disney for a moment. However, real fame was waiting for him in the cinema, under the guidance of director John Carpenter. Kurt Russell has appeared in three of his films: “Something”, “Escape from New York” and “The Big Drunk in the Chinese Quarter”. In the late 1970s, he married actress Season Hubley, with whom he has a son, Boston, but the marriage only lasted a few years. Soon after he broke up with his first wife, the actor again met his friend from the set of “The only original family orchestra”.
– Years later, we met again, I liked him and I remembered that I liked him very much before we met. Back then, we said we wouldn’t be meeting industry people, which shows you never really know – Hawn said in one of the interviews. It was about the 1983 film “Quick Change”.
Russell recalled their meeting years later in greater detail: – I had a terrible hangover, I didn’t know her very much, I only knew that we used to work together – he told on the Conan O’Brien talk show. – When I saw her at the film audition, the first thing that came out of my mouth was “You’ve got a great figure”.
Luckily for Russell, the actress thanked him and allowed himself to be invited for a drink. According to the actor’s memoirs, the first date was so successful that they decided to visit the new home that Hawn had just bought. She didn’t have the keys yet, so they had to … break in. Police, who came looking for burglars, found them having sex in an empty bedroom.
As Hawn recalled years later in an interview with People magazine, the most convincing thing about her involvement with Kurt Russell was the way he acted when Kate and Oliver came on the set of Quick Change. – He was amazing with children. It came naturally to him – said the actress.
In 1986, the couple welcomed their son, Wyatt, into the world, and he also chose a film career as an adult. A year later they starred together in the comedy “Lady Over the Board”, which turned out to be a financial flop, but after many years it became a cult film.
Despite the large family and great affection they have in common, the couple never decided to get married. – If I had married him, we would have been divorced long ago – said Goldie Hawn in 2016 on the program “Loose Women” aired on UK TV ITV. They were only married on the screen – in 2018 they starred in the Netflix family film “The Christmas Chronicle” (and later in its sequel), where they played the roles of Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus.
According to them, marriage is not the way to cement a relationship. – For people like us, the marriage certificate will create nothing that we would not otherwise have – said Kurt Russell in a joint interview they gave to People magazine in 2020. But questions about the wedding or the reasons why they don’t take it happen even now, almost 40 years after the first date.
– It’s not about marriage. It’s about people and the relationship and wanting to be together – said Goldie Hawn in the same interview. – This is important because if you want it, you can have something like that. You have to sacrifice something, but the joy and excitement of being together and touching that person’s toes at night is a really nice feeling. You just have to want to be together. I don’t think there is any other way – the actress added.
Creation date: Today, 12:59